Caprese grilled cheese made with fresh mozzarella, sliced tomatoes, and fresh basil, is an upgraded grilled cheese sandwich that pairs well with salads, soups and can even be enjoyed alone!
First appearing on Fantabulosity.com, this easy grilled cheese has the freshest ingredients and pairs amazing with chili, protein-filled salads, spaghetti, and more!
How to Make Caprese Grilled Cheese
The ingredients are simple and the key to a wonderful caprese grilled cheese is to use fresh ingredients!
Ingredients You'll Need:
- bread (texas toast, white, wheat, french, ciabatta, multigrain, sourdough, pumpernickle, englsih muffin)
- fresh, sliced mozzarella (you can usually find this in a log or round ball in the cheese section of the grocery store.)
- fresh basil (dried will work if that's all you have on hand but fresh leaves are hard to beat)
- butter for spreading on bread before cooking in pan
Step by Step Directions:
- Butter one side of a slice of bread, and place buttered side down on pan over medium heat. Cast iron is pictured but any pan or skillet will do.
- Cover the bread with the sliced mozzarella, as much as you can.
- Put the sliced tomatoes on top of the mozzarella.
- Top with a little fresh basil…
- Then butter one side of another slice of bread. Place on sandwich, buttered side up.
- When bottom side is a nice golden-brown, flip over to allow the other side to cook.
- When the other side is a nice golden brown, you’re ready to eat!
Side note: If you find that the sides are a nice golden brown, but the cheese isn’t quite melted yet… turn the burner down to “low,” and let the sandwich rest for a bit, gently melting the cheese.
Caprese Grilled Cheese
- 2 slices bread italian, ciabatta, sourdough or desired type of bread
- 3 slices fresh mozzarella
- 3 slices roma tomatoes or vine, or garden tomatoes
- 3 fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon butter for cooking
- Butter one slice of bread and place face down on a heated pan over medium heat.
- Cover the bread with slices of mozzarella cheese.
- Layer sliced tomatoes over the mozzarella.
- Add a few pieces of fresh basil on top of mozzarella.
- Butter one side of a second piece of bread, and place buttered side up, on top of sandwich.
- When bottom becomes a golden brown, flip over to brown other side.
- When bottom is golden brown, it’s ready to serve!